Labels

Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

Black lace


The days are short,
the sun a spark
hung thin between
the dark and dark

Fat snowy footsteps
Track the floor
And parkas pile up
Near the door

The river is
a frozen place
Held still beneath
The trees' black lace

The sky is low
the wind is gray
the radiator
Purrs all day

                                                Poems by John Updike, A Child's Calender

I recently discovered this beautiful book with a poem for every month of the year


The part that struck me is how he described the trees as being black lace

Isn't it beautiful

I've always eyed these twiggy trees during winter, right before they sprout green, but could never quite describe their simple beauty. - Black Lace is definitely fitting



A while back I discovered a beautiful piece of black lace in my attic... and made these

For another neat option using a frame check out Amy's creative blog Polkadotpear  
full of great ideas!


No comments: